1. Everyone loves them.
2. They are basically breakfast cookies.
3. My aunt makes the best biscotti. And the recipe is below.
If you bake one thing when you’re expecting house guests, bake chocolate chip biscotti, a very versatile cookie. In the morning, you dunk them in coffee. It’s called breakfast. They’re great for snacking throughout the day, and then you trot them out again for dessert.
A quick pronunciation note: bis-COH-tee. Not bis-CAH-tee.
CHOCOLATE CHIP BISCOTTI
2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
2 large eggs
1 cup mini chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
3. Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl.
4. Using an electric mixer, beat sugar and butter together in a large bowl. Then, beat in the eggs one at a time.
5. Add the flour mixture and beat until combined.
6. Stir in the chocolate chips.
7. Transfer the dough to the baking sheet, and form the dough into a log that is about 16 inches long and 3 inches wide. Or, for mini biscotti, split the dough in half and form two skinnier logs.
8. Bake until lightly golden, about 30 minutes.
9. Cool on the baking sheet for 30 minutes.
10. Place the log on a cutting board. Using a serrated knife, cut the log on the diagonal into slices that are about 1/2- to 3/4-inches thick.
11. Arrange the biscotti cut-side down on the baking sheet. Bake until pale golden, about 15 mintues.
12. Transfer the biscotti to a rack to cool completely.